There are so many ways to putt. Normal grip, cross handed, pencil grip, belly putter, long putter etc..
No matter which way you choose, there are a few things you should always be aware of:
- Grip pressure: should be light and tension free
- Your arms should hang straight down and your eyes should be over the ball
- Feet shoulder width apart and standing in balance. (weight should not move during putt)
- The stroke should be 1/3 back and 2/3 through. (always a slight acceleration)
- Follow through should stay low and club face pointing at your intended line.
- Always hold your finish, and don’t look up until your putt has gone half way.
- Vary the length of your stroke to control distances. (long putt = longer stroke)
- The putter has a sweet spot!! Finding it will help keep putts on line with proper speed.
Be sure to practice and have fun!
Jamie Moran, Clovelly - PGA of Canada